Friday, April 21, 2006

From Spitfires to Space craft to Sports cars

Today I took the kiddies for a long awaited trip to the Science Museum in London.
Up at the crack of dawn to listen to Take That on Moyles show this morning then off to the train station.
The train journey to the Capital was non-descript...done it so many times before it flew by. Once we got to London we were hit by how busy it was. Where do all these people come from?
I am well versed at using the underground system now but it was odd to be going on a different line this time. So off to find the Picadilly line and all was quite simple.
We weren't prepared for the loooong walk from South Kensington station to the museum itself, If I had known it would go on like that I would have taken a picnic.

Anyone who has been to the museum will understand what a long and tiring day it can be. It is a fascinating and amazing trip through everything and you think that science means boring well how wrong could you be.

We looked around the space exhibit where DS managed to screw a nut and bolt together wearing the big bulky astronaut gloves.
We saw the Viking Lander


And also Apollo 10


DS got the chance to sit in a cool sixties sports car. The Austin Sprite Mk1 "Frogeye"


My favourite exhibit has to be the Pure Iceland. There was 3 rooms. the first room was a summer's day in Iceland and the second room was wonderful. As we walked in the ground under our feet was very soft and bouncy. We were greeted by 2 inhabitants of the country. It was dark and the 'sky' was full of stars. We could see the Northern lights in the distance and a great volcanic eruption.
We were invited to take a seat whilst the lively hostess told us all about the history of the country. I was absolutely fascinated...I could have sat there all day and listened and now I definitely would love to go to Iceland on a holiday
The 3rd room was full of poems that have been translated from Icelandic to English.

We also saw the history of medicine exhibit, DS spent ages looking round the energy exhibit, we looked round the history of computers and the who am i exhibit and although both kids wanted to go in the on air radio studio, there was a bit of a queue and by then we were getting tired and hungry so decided to give it a miss.

By 5pm we had been in the museum for 4 hours and only made it to the 3rd floor so we have promised that we will go back sometime and finish it off.

Leaving the museum was quite a different story. I knew we had quite a wait till our train so the plan was to get the tube back to Kings Cross and then go to Maccy Dees and get something to eat.
We got on our tube but were told that there were major delays and it could be quite a long journey. This didn't worry me too much as we had 3 hours but when the train got to Leicester square we were told that the tube would be held indefinitely because there were now trains stuck at every station to Kings Cross. We sat thre for a while but in the end we decided to get off and make it by an alternate route to Kings Cross. Well easier said than done as all the trains were packed but we eventually took our life in our hands and jumped onto a train on the Victoria line and got absolutely squashed. DD wasn't very happy, I think she was a bit scared that we were going to get sqaushed or split up. She was very happy to finally make it back to the centre although an hour later than planned.

I forgot to mention though that when we first entered through the Energy hall, I got the most almighty electric shock like lightning had struck my head. It hurt so much I didn't even want to go in. The kids went in and they didn't feel anything so I tentatively walked down the side and I felt OK..I iwsh I had been warned though as I am quite prone to shocks, especially in Woolworths which is quite random I know but it always happens in there...Oh and Sainsburys, I always get electric shocks off of their freezers...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird, I get random electric shocks like that too, and also quite often in Woolies - anything from shop shelves to car doors or the coat hooks at work can do it. Apparently it's good though, because it means we're good at earthing our excess electric energy, so we're less likely to spontaneously combust. Phew, that's a relief isn't it?!

21/4/06 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add, glad you had a nice day out, I love the Science Museum.

21/4/06 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home