Thursday, July 20, 2006

Twinkle, Twinkle little star

Another chance for me to get all soppy and show off how proud of my children I am...

Last night was the school concert, We wouldn't normally bother with these things as it is a long trek up to school at that time of night but I was glad to go as DS was playing his Clarinet. I also invited Ange & Debz along and even DNephew came too.
As you know it was absolutely Scorchio last night and I had already changed clothes twice so it was a rush to get my clothes washed and dried and I wanted to leave in plenty of time so as not to have to walk too fast otherwise I knew I would be soaked and uncomfortable again.

There wasn't a very big turn out to watch but it wasn't really surprising as although there is lots of bands and musical groups, they more or less consist of the same few children.

The precedings were started as always with the school Steel band. I say as always as they are the school's pride and joy. They are well known in the city and have a great repuation. Most of DD's friends are in the Steel band but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that it was started the year they started at the school so who knows what they will do when this lot leave the school.



DS' first appearance came half way through the first half when he took part in the woodwind band playing the school Ballad (which was written by the music teacher) and the Gypsy dance.


There was a 20 minute interval so peeps could re-hydrate and go for wee/smoke breaks. During the first half we had also been treated to piano solos, guitar, Violin solos and the school choir.

The second half began again with teh Steel band and then before the woodwind section came out again, the teacher called out DS to the stage. I was quite surprised as he stood up there all on his own and played a superb solo piece - Twinkle Twinkle little star - He was very nervous but he was excellent. I had a big lump in my throat at that time and when he finished he got a great round of applause and some cheers and whistles too. I know that would have done hin the power of good as sometimes he just has no confidence in himself at all.

There was a bit more choir and guitar and the whole thing was finished off as it started with the Steel band and their signature tune which is the school song again written by the teacher himself.

We came away at about 8.30 and it was a lot cooler walking home than it was walking up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home