Friday, August 05, 2005

Aaarrgghh!! Its Thursday, I'm so far behind!


If anyone ever says "It is 1 mile up a very steep hill" Take heed as they are telling the truth!!!
Tuesday my daughter and I visited the Tramway Museum in Crich......www.tramway.co.uk The instructions said that we could get the train to Whatstandwell and then walk up a steep hill to the village itself. So I was quite confident that it wouldn't be as bad as it says....How wrong I was. The hill went up forever and ever and I thought I would truly die before I reached the top. Lots of stops for water, Inhaler and leg breaks and I am sure that I lost 2 stone in sweat alone!! When I finally reached the top, I was soaked through and my face was bright red. My legs were also numb.
We reached the entrance and there was a huge 20 minute queue to get in so we had time to recover.

I have been to the museum on several occasions in the past. I can remember my parents taking me when I was 16 and we were entertaining a German exchange student. My most recent visit was 5 years ago with my son's school but my daughter had never been before.

Once inside you are transported (like that...transported??) back in time to an olde worlde village
with the tram running the length of it. We went in the little olde worlde sweet shop and bought and ice cream each..The weather had perked up and it was getting extremely warm. We had a look around the little gift shops and then had a wander around the big exhibition. They had Trams from all over the world and from all eras of history. It was very interesting reading up
about how Trams have evolved through the years from the first horse drawn trams to the current day Supertrams used in Manchester/Sheffield/Nottingham.

We took our first tram ride on the specially refurbished Berlin tram. Our aim was to hopefully ride all 4 trams during the course of the day but the queues were very long. On entry to the museum you are given the tram fare. 1 old penny for me and half a penny for my daughter. The ride takes you up through the village, through the woodland walk, past the quarry and to the top of the hill. Once you get to the end, The conductor stops to give a little talk about the history of the museum and also of the tram that you are riding on. All the drivers/conductors/technicians are volunteers. They work at the museum on their days off from their real jobs.

Throughout the course of the day managed to travel on 3 of the trams. The other 2 were both open top trams. One was from Southampton and the other from Paisley in Scotland. We were most excited about the Paisley Tram as when you get to the end of the line, you stand up and move the backs of the seats to turn round and face the opposite way...Little things and all that....

By 5pm we were knackered and I think I had a little sunstroke so we made our way down the steep hill back to the train station....It is just as hard walking down as it is up...Oh yes believe me!!!

Great views of Derbyshire though

Well only bad point to the day (apart from that dratted hill) is that my stupid camera stopped working...Telling me there is no memory card when there so obviously is!! Hopefully I can get it sorted so that I will be able to post a few of my piccies.
(Most photos on this page were taken by my daughter and I on our mobiles)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home