Saturday, August 13, 2005

The best kind of prize is a *sur*prise!

OK let me ask you this? Who in their right mind takes a toddler to the pictures???
I took my dear daughter and dear son (Henceforth known as dd and ds) to see Charlie and the Chocolate factory tonight. I have been looking forward to this movie for a year and so I was more excited than the kids.

We were a little late getting there and so the lights had gone down, It wasn't very full though so we were able to get good seats and settle down for the start of the film itself....Of course there was about another 15 minutes of ads to sit through first. Then 5 minutes before the movie began a family with about 6 kids came and sat behind us with a little one about 3 years old who didn't stop whining and crying through the whole film. As if that wasn't enough, she kept taking dd's hat and kicking the back of the seats. I can say I just about enjoyed it although it would have been a lot better had we not had to endure that for 2 hours!!!

Anyway, On to the movie itself.....
I really loved Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. With the added back-story of the strict dentist father you could almost feel Willy's pain. Apparently the young Willy is from my neck of the woods so all credit to him.
Willy's perfect hair, smooth colourless skin and big teeth smile made him a very eerie character although also quite lovable too. I have to say though that sometimes I thought he had taken some kind of influence from Michael Jackson...But in a sort of child-hating way......
I tried hard not to compare the movie to it's predecessor Willy Wonka's chocolate factory but it is always hard in these situations...Not sure I liked the new oompa loompas...although I did love the new groovy songs.
I absolutely loved the ending though and I am hoping against all hope that they do Charlie and the great glass elevator as the sequel!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the film too Jen, and my friend made the exact same Michael Jackson comment. I'd been thinking JD was quite an attractive Willy Wonka until she said that!

13/8/05 6:47 PM  
Blogger Froggy said...

I want to see this movie...looks good. On the michael jackson comment i read a Johnny Depp interview where he says he has no idea where people get that idea from and he(mJ) had no part of his development of the character.

Thanks for the review!

17/8/05 11:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well I am so glad I am not the only one LOL...I felt a bit stupid saying it a first tho in case I got the men in the white coats coming after me but at least I know now it wasn't my imagiation.
Thanks ;)

18/8/05 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home