Sunday, March 12, 2006

Play-away-away-play-playaway

What a fantastic evening of TV viewing last night. Not only did I finally get the chance to watch the new series of CSI NY but we were treated to the 100 greatest kids shows. What a wonderful Nostalgic evening that became very emotional and mustered up lots of old childhood memories for me.
From Bill & Ben; Fingerbobs and Andy Pandy to Grange Hill; Biker Grove and Press Gang. The shows of my childhood like Trumpton and Pipkins I used to come home from school at lunchtime and sit and watch with my parents who would also be on their lunch breaks. Then there was the Banana Splits and Why Don't you that were always on in the Summer Holidays. I couldn't understand why they would make a TV show telling you to turn off the TV set....I wondered how many people actually did. I even tried some of the things on the show when I was really REALLY bored. I wonder now where all the little kids are that appeared on the show. I remember that Ant McPartlin did it for a bit.

The Adventure game was a particularly emotional memory for me. I used to sit and watch it with my dad on a Thursday night while my mum was doing the late shift in the shop. I think it must be one of the only times that my dad would allow kids shows on while he was at home...Oh apart from Grange Hill. I remember I watched the first ever episode with my dad. I was 7 and it was a Wednesday afternoon. It's amazing how such insignificant events can stick with you and be quite significant memories. I stuck with Grange Hill from Tucker and the Gang right through Zammo and Roland but I started to get a bit bored of it.....It seemed to be a seen it done kind of feeling towards the end...Not the end of the show as it is still going (Albeit in a different location these days) I have to accept that I am now 35 and these shows aren't made for me anymore.

What about the other classics I haven't mentioned
The Wombles - I loved them and even had the Wombles album with such classic tracks as Remember you're a Womble; Invitation to a Ping Pong Ball; Wombling White tie and tails and Minuetto Allegretto.

Rentaghost - I so think that they should make a modern day remake of this. Todays kids would love it. Who couldn't love characters such as Timothy Claypole and Madam Popov and of course Dobbin the Pantomime horse.

Playaway - I still remember all the words to the theme tune.
t really doesn't matter if it's raining or if it's
fine
just as long as you've got time
to p-l-a-y playaway way playawayaway play playaway
away play playaway

Others (And I could go on and on about this all day) that I have loved Chorlton and the Wheelies; Jamie and the magic torch; Black Beauty; Metal Mickey; Swap shop; Blue Peter and finally the biggest classic kid's TV show in my opinion....Mr Benn - Suddenly the shop keeper appeared....

(By the way I agree with everything I have read about this show. The winner most certainly shouldn't be The Simpsons...It isn't a kids show and it isn't a classic!!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, how could you forget The Flumps? :-o Pootle was my favourite.
http://www.thechestnut.com/flumps.htm

12/3/06 2:21 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sorry Gayle. The Flumps weren't really my thing...I know my little sis loved them though ;-)

13/3/06 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home