Thursday, March 02, 2006

Which way NOW?!

I remember when I was in the 3rd year and about to take my Options at school. Back then Radio 1 used to have this great feature called Which Way Now?! There were lots special ads about it and you could send off for the Which Way Now pack. I can see the cover now with a youthful Peter Powell and Bruno Brooks on the front. Inside it was packed with great advice about choosing your options and how to choose wisely, advice on the best choices to make for certain career paths and then lists of where to get more advice and info. They even had a special hotline number you could ring for info. I don't know why Radio 1 don't do this anymore as it was a great help to me. Back then you never had any time for what your teachers or your parents said but when Bruno Brooks spoke you listened LOL

I can't believe that DD is taking her options now. I have been up to school this morning for the interview with the co-ordinator of the program at school.
Luckily DD has a clear idea of where she wants to go after school and the GCSE's that she will need are covered in the main curriculum so this leaves her open to pick options that she wants to do rather than what she has to do.

It is all so different nowadays though, there are so many different subjects to choose from and each of them is worth a different percentage of her GCSE's. This bit all confuses me a bit so I am not even going to attempt to understand it at this moment in time.

She has chosen 2 of her options already...well they are 2 subjects which more or less chose themselves. She is stuck on a third subject though. I think she should go for subjects she is good at and more likely to get a good grade but she doesn't like the subjects she is really good at so I am not going to push this point. It will be she that has to do all the work in the end, I will just be here to support whatever decision she makes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

There was a major discrepancy over subjects I liked and subjects I got good grades in. I got good grades in Science but didn't carry it on to A Level. I took English, Media Studies, Business Studies and Graphics for AS Level. My dad has since said if we could go back he would make sure I didn't pick some of them and I have since told him I wouldn't have listened to him. Eventually I did drop Graphics for Business in A Level because he told me that it was a weightier subject [if that makes sense] and I took his advice even though I hated Business. I don't really regret it.
Just thought I would tell you all this, essentially all you can do is give advice and it is up to her to make the final decision :)

3/3/06 3:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Nik, It is good to hear your experience.
I wish they had Media studies when I was at school as it looks like a really cool subject..I would have really got my teeth stuck into It. Instead I had to do French & Chemistry :P

4/3/06 12:39 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Media Studies was cool, I liked the subject but they made me study gangster movies and british soaps and I hate both, lol. I took it because I've always said I want to work in Media, I still do, except now I've narrowed it down to radio. Tee hee, I steered clear of languages :P

5/3/06 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home