Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pancake day - Have I left it too late?

Today is Shrove Tuesday...Or Pancake day to the common amongst us. I have known about it for weeks, It is written on all the calendars all over the house but I didn't see a reason to get any ingredients before now.

I am not the best cook in the world and It has only been in the last couple of years that I have been able to make anywhere near decent pancakes myself (I always made sure we visited my sister's house or that I invited her for tea) So you see why I need to buy packet mix and not attempt to make them from scratch with eggs and milk and flour etc....

Anyway, I have been into town this morning and Sainsburys are all out of packet mixes as well as having no Lemons left either. I know there are also loads of fillings you can put on them but in this house it is the traditional sugar and Lemon...and it does have to be real Lemons so that we can then eat what is left of them after we finished the Pancakes.

So next stop Kwik Save (Which I find is closing down on Sunday) They have Lemons YAY!! but no batter mix.

Is it a fact that everyone in Derby is just as lazy as me and can't be bothered to make their own pancakes from scratch? Or maybe the shops just under-estimate the demand and don't order in enough. I can recall that it is exactly the same in Sainsburys every year. You expect a big major Supermarket to be prepared but they never are!!

So I am off on my quest now to try all the local shops to get a packet Batter mix. Failing that then it will just have to be from scratch...so If I am not around, you know I have probably burnt down the whole house in the effort to make the perfect Pancakes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home