Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's a family affair

(Title taken from Peter Gadsby as he talked about the new era of DCFC)

Wednesday night we had a very special evening out.
Peter Gadsby and the new directors at Derby County invited fans to a special forum at Moor farm which is the Rams Training facility.

It is a few years since I last met up with Ann so it was great to see her again when she came to pick us up about 6pm.

We arrived at Moor farm and after getting our tickets from Jim Wheeler, We were taken on a tour around the facility. Forgive me for not taking in all the facts as we were shown around the 43 acre site...It was very impressive, especially after having visited the previous training ground at Raynesway which basically was a hut LOL

The indoor training pitch was the highlight of the tour itself. We were introduced to one of the academy Coaches - Darren who told us about what goes on and the players that they work with. I was very proud of the reputation that DCFC has built up with the Youth program and the academy as a whole. I think one of the main strengths away from what happens on the pitch within The Championship is the fantastic Community program that we have. I have had personal first hand experience of that when the coaches have been out to the kids school. Both at infants and juniors level I have seen them working with the kids and I was very impressed there. It is excellent that after all that has happened with the last regime at DCFC that none of that was ruined.
I loved the feel of the Astroturf on the feet and DD commented that she was wearing astroturf trainers so it would probably be the only time they got to see the real stuff. There was a family in our party with a little boy (Probably about 2 yrs old)they got him out of his pushchair and let him run around with a ball which was really cute. Darren had told us that he used to play for the club and as we moved on, our guide told us that he was actually Lee Holmes' brother (Young Rams prospect)

We moved into the main building where we were shown round the gym and the dressing rooms and the education room which was very impressive. Along the walls are pictures of other sporting heroes, I guess it is meant to be inspirational but personally I am not inspired by Rugby players/Golfers/Rowers. Also along the main corridor were shirts of successful academy stars. DS was very excited to see Number 6 Riggott...In fact I think if we went home then he would have been content.

The end of our tour brought us into the Bistro which is the catering for the academy. It was a bit smoky as we walked in as they had a Barbeque going on in a marquee that was attatched to the room. It was a bit gruesome on the eyes and I was glad I brought my inhaler. Not that I am complaining, It was just unfortunate about the weather. There were dark clouds overhead and it was very windy which unfortunately was blowing the smoke the wrong way LOL.

We joined the queue for the food of which there was lots of choice. They had done an amazing job. There was Burgers, steaks and Chicken on the bbq; Lamb or Beef Kebabs; Sausage and Onions; Curry and Rice; Baked Potatoes; Boiled potatoes; lots of choice of Pasta Salad; Coleslaw; Salads; lots of choice of Rice;Garlic Bread; Dressings and bread.
I had some Hotdogs and a Gorgeous Lamb Kebab along with some salad. At the end of the table was a huge Cooler with cans of Lager, Bitter and bottles of wine so I helped myself to a can of Fosters and a cup and there was orange squash which the kids had.

The room was pretty full so we sat at the side at first until a table was available. As we sat and ate, It was great to see the directors and the Chairman himself just wandering round the room chatting to people. I have to make a confession that I didn't know any of the directors before that.

After they had eaten, the children were all whisked away for a rendezvous with Rammie. DD & DS weren't quite sure about it until the word prizes was mentioned then they were all for it. I got myself another can and sat with Ann and her mother. Jill Marples came up for a chat and I have to say I was well impressed. She is very down to earth and there are no airs and graces or feelings of self-importance and the most important thing is how the passion for the club and fans comes through. This is something I noticed with all of them...They have that passion to really make this club the big success that it should be.

The waitresses brought round more beer before we settled down and PG himself got up to address the room.
I was very excited with his enthusiasm.

This is where you are expecting me to talk about the questions and answers in depth and although I could have taken notes, I would have missed everything in that case and I wanted to hear everything that was said and take it in. So I will just account what I can remember.

There was a very long winded discussion about consultation with season ticket holders.
There was also a question about the Steve Bloomer Project which basically is a plan to get a statue up. I liked the fact that PG didn't just say Yeah lets do it. His view was that it may not be what all the fans want. I personally think that he may want to have a Clough memorial as he mentioned that being a possibility.
There were lots of questions about Billy Davies. I wasn't very impressed when the appointment was first made but when they went into detail about why they picked him and what his plans were for the future I was a lot more excited. It would have been nice if he had been there so we could meet him and get to chat but hopefully there will be more chance for that in the future.

One thing I was disappointed with was the fact that he has no plans to bring back the reserves. Personally my view is that is a big mistake. There is so many positives in having a reserves team. It is a great way of getting young fans in, It is a brilliant way for people like me that can't afford season tickets or regular match day tickets to get along and see the club play especially as they used to use it for injured players to get back match fitness so you would get to see the big stars play from time to time. My 2 kids cut their teeth on reserve games and it is such a shame that it isn't still there for DN, now that he is 5 Ange would love to take him to football but full league games are just too much for him.

Although they couldn't go into too much detail there was bound to be some questions about the previous owners and they did manage to give a few hints at the total lack of good business sense in the way the club had been run. The classic story has to be the 'Director' that had himself a free company car and then charged the club 40p a mile for travel expenses.

The Q&A session was way too short and before long Jim Fearne was telling us that was it. He invited some Questions from the floor and was met by people just wanting to say thanks to the new board for putting the last lot out of their misery.

I have to admit that the last couple of years at Derby County had brought a feeling of apathy and disinterest but now I have a new found excitement and confidence about the future of the club and look forward to going to many more forums too.

When I fetched the children from their activities they were very sweaty and very happy. They didn't manage to win any prizes but they had a good time. DD was told by the coach that she should get herself in a team. If only we could find a suitable team for her...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pictures as my camera has gone kaput. I am most upset about that but what can you do!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home