Monday, September 05, 2005

One hell of a Saturday

It wasn't much of a wakening. Although I got up at 7.30 to get DD up for her paper round, I went straight back to sleep and it took some time at 11.30 for me to realise that my phone was ringing. I picked it up somewhat wearily. I was soon brought to life with a bump...It was my Nan, she told me that My Grandad had been taken to hospital the previous night because his kidneys were failing.......To me it sounded such a serious statement and my moth dropped to the floor. I could feel my whole body go cold and my mouth went dry. I could feel a huge knot appearing in my stomach. Yet my Nan sounded as calm as anything.

My Grandad will be 88 this coming November. For all my life my Grandparents have been such fit and healthy and youthful people. I never really for one minute considered the possibility that they were going to get old at some point. They have had very active lives. However, about 6 months ago my Grandad started having health problems. It seemed to be one thing after another and you know each time something was wrong, the 'ole 'C' word would be there in the back of your mind. My Dad died of Cancer at the age of 53 so it was remarkable that they had escaped it. If I am honest the reason I don't visit my Granparents to often these days is I can't bear to see my Grandad so weak...I want to remember the fit robust man from my younger days....As they live so far away it is hard to visit too often but I use that excuse too much........

At this moment, We are waiting to hear word of what is happening....I guess as My Nan hasn't called yet that there is no change to the situation...No News is Good News I guess........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home