Sunday, September 11, 2005

Random life of a Griffin fan

So what will you say when someone asks at work "what did you get up to on Saturday night?"
Will it be something like "Oh watched a DVD with the family" or "Went out clubbing" or even "went out for a meal" My answer will be..."I sat on the stairs in the dark and listened to some chap singing down the phone from a field somewhere on the Yorkshire Moors"

As I wrote this morning, Alistair was to be appearing at the village dance in the middle of Castleton cricket pitch. I was upset that I couldn't be there but you know on these occasions it is better to know that there are others sat in their front rooms feeling the same way...So, instead of sitting with DD and watching CSI as we normally would, I sat here at the computer with my 2 phones in front of me and kept refreshing the page on the AG site - just in case anyone else got news of what was happening in Griffin village. Now there was always the possibility that the phone wouldn't ring at all. That area is very difficult to get a mobile signal at the best of times but when there are several people all desperately trying to ring out to friends all over the country at the same time I guess it could be a little more difficult. Then at 10pm my phone lit up and I hastily picked it up and hit the speaker phone straight away. I posted on the forum so that those that didn't get a call could keep up then I ran out to the stairs, shut the door and closed my eyes to listen. The reception was good considering and although it wasn't the same as being there.....I could imagine the atmosphere. The first song he sang was the Sarah Mclachlan song Angel this is an emotional and moving song on its own but with Alistair's voice and today being quite a poinient it made it even more so and the hairs on the back of my neck were on end..It was all I could do to stop blubbing.........Next song I heard was the Eric Clapton classic Wonderful tonight. As I sat on the stairs, tears falling down my cheeks, I thought of my friend. This is one of her favourite covers that Al sings and all I could think of was I wish she could hear this......

Of course I wish I was there but this evening was just another testimony to the wonderful generosity of the people I have met through Alistair and the web community...I don't even know who it was that rang me. It wasn't the number I was expecting, I have been all through my phone book and can't even find it so if you are reading this, A big massive thank you and big hugs and a big wet kiss...sorry, not the kiss then ;-)

As always it has made me hungry for The gorgeous Griffin voice again so I am listening to all the acoustic stuff I can find.....sigh........

2 Comments:

Blogger saurav said...

great post .... keep it up...
have a great weekend....

11/9/05 12:38 AM  
Blogger Corinne said...

Aww, I'm blushing.

It seems that the one plus point of being on a phone network that only works in Yorkshire is that it makes calls from cricket pitches in the moors much easier.

11/9/05 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home