Monday, November 07, 2005

I do love nothing in the world so well as you

A great night of TV this evening. The BBC are doing a series of modern adaptations of Shakespeare plays. This evening was the first and my favourite - Much ado about nothing. I love this story as from the first time I saw the play, I actually followed the story and it was one of those that really got me...Or I got it...
My favourite adaptation of all is the 1993 version starring Ken Brannagh and Emma Thompson (As well as a further star cast) I have it on video and must have worn it out over the years. In fact I was quite startled when watching this evening that I could actually remember the original dialogue that was replaced by the modern 'speak'.

They stayed pretty much to the script and I thought it would be only loosely based on the original but I absolutely loved it.

The story has Beatrice as reporter on a local News station. Hero is the weather girl and her father Leonard the producer of the show. Claude works in Production and Don is the messed up drunken Producer who is dropped for a new producer. As Beatrice's partner on the show is sacked Benedick is brought in to sit along side her.

Can't wait for next week's....Macbeth. I am not particularly a fan of the play but like everyone else my age I had to study it for my O levels and of course I played Lady Macbeth in the school production so it will be interesting to see the modern day slant they have in store.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

I watched much ado tonight as well, and really got into it(suprised me cos i liked the kenneth brannagh one too!). really pleased to hear they are doing macbeth next week, thats one of my fave shakespeare - ta for letting me know!

c

7/11/05 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home