Monday, April 03, 2006

I just love to love

Ever since I was about 14 I have had to be obsessed with some celebrity or another. I can't remember a time when i haven't had pictures and posters of some gorgeous bloke surrounding me.

When I was 14 it was then Manchester United legend Bryan Robson. My best friend of the time was into Norman Whiteside so we used to make up our own little fantasy stories about the 2 hunky footballers. I am not sure how long this little crush lasted. I never stopped admiring him as a great footballer though, both for England and ManU..I even still had a little soft spot for him when he went on to Manage Boro. I still have my signed photo of Bryan on my wall now in fact.




The next obsessive crush was Simon le Bon of Duran Duran (Although he had to share my bedroom walls with Nik Kershaw & Paul Young) I had a huge larger than life poster of Simon on my ceiling over my bed. I was totally in love with simon and disregarding the age difference I was convinced I was going to meet him and marry him one day. I was devastated when Simon married Yasmin after a whirlwind romance but I have to hand it to them...20 years on and 3 beautiful daughters. He did lose a bit for a time but he still has it on stage..I so wish I could have made their UK tour last year. I have seen them live only twice in my life. The first was around 87 at the NEC in Birmingham. Christmas eve with my (then) little sis (She is now way taller than me LOL) The second time was a reather surreal evening out with my sister and my housemates of the time in about 89 at the Nottinghan Royal centre. We were on the fourth row and I thought i would pass out being so close to the Gorgeous Mr. Le Bon.



I am not quite sure what the next big thing was after Simon Le Bon. I had a huge poster of Sean Penn on my wall for a time but the first few years of the ninties are devoted to this man
Bret 'the Hitman' Hart - The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! He was my all-time favourite WWF wrestler. I have hours and hours of tapes of him doing what he does best and I even convinced my sisters to go with me when they came to the UK on tour. Just so I could see him in the flesh. I even bought the Merchandise - The classic Hitman shades and the big black and Pink foam Heart.........Confession time - I even painted my bedroom Pink with huge black hearts too. I do still have posters of Bret scattered around the house and I do still love to look at him.

Next - Ashley Ward. Footballer in case you didn't know. At the time he was playing for Derby County and I Luuuurved him. I had my replica Rams shirts with his name and number on the back and I loved to go down to The Baseball ground on a Saturday to see him arrive and get his autograph and take loads of photos of him (With the 2 chilcren in tow in the big bus sized double buggy)
I did build up quite a collection of signed pics of him. He was brilliant and everytime I wrote to him he would sign whatever I had sent plus a couple of his own pics. The best moment was after he left Derby, I wrote and asked him for a signed pic in his new team strip and he sent me a signed 10x8 of him celebrating his goal which turned out to be the last ever goal for Derby at the Baseball ground. I felt very honoured that he took the time to send me that picture. Best footie moment was definitely when he scored against ManUtd when we beat them at Old Trafford. I bought the video of the match and watched it so many times over and over again.



At the same time as Ashley was another gorgeous footie player. Jason McAteer. At the time he played for Liverpool and Eire and I even recieved a Liverpool shirt with his name on as a birthday pressie. I would record every Liverpool game on the TV (and they were always on) I even had a few moments of torn loyalties when I was lucky enough to go to Anfield to see Derby play them...I would be distracted if he was warming up on the sidelines but I would pray that he wouldn't play so that I didn't embarrass myself by accidentally cheering for him. I have a lovely signed picture of Jase that I recieved when I wrote to Bolton FC on the off-chance that they might have any leftover pics of him after he left them. I think my thing for Jason wore fizzled out when he left Liverpool and I didn't see as much of him as before.


The next big crush was the extremely talented and gorgeous Gary Barlow of Take That. I had many friends around the world that were close to stalkers so I was sent what must be hundreds of photos of Gary from different parts of the globe. While everyone else was swooning over Robbie or Mark I went for the one everyone called fat and ugly. I didn't mind, it was nice to be in a minority and Gary was the one that wrote all the songs so when I was dreaming of marrying him and living in a huge mansion, I wasn't far wrong! (about the mansion I mean)


That almost brings us up to modern day. After Gary, there wasn't a real mad obsession until Alistair and you know all about what happened after that which brings me up to modern day and the gorgeous Jason King.

It's been real fun writing this and searching out pics that I haven't looked at for a long time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Jason McAteer. *swoon*
Not quite in the Jamie Redknapp mould but I still loved him. Think I have his autograph on a Liverpool programme somewhere.

4/4/06 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh - I was a HUGE Simon Le Bon fan too, and 20 years later, just like you said, he's pretty much still got it - LOL! And still has a fantastic voice, IMO. I only saw them once in concert, but they were fabulous, of course. :-D *sigh*

5/4/06 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home