Thursday, March 16, 2006

Another year older

As birthdays go, yesterday started quite miserably.
Not even a Happy Birthday from my darling children before they went off to school.
After the kids left, I decided to have a long soak in the bath with the Lush goodies I bought the day before. The Sakura Bath Bomb and the gorgeous Cherry Tree lane soap.

Once I got out the bath I made myself an Egg and Bacon Roll (Or Cob as we call it here in Derby) and sat watching Fight club on DVD....Why was I watching Fight Club?....Well I just borrowed it off my sister and fancied watching it. It really isn't the same when you know about the clever plot twist.
My sister turned up at about 1pm and we got a cab upto the Crematorium.
It may seem like weird thing to do on your birthday but sadly our mother died on my birthday 12 years ago. For a few years I used to try and get up to the Crem every year but it is so far away that after a while I decided that I don't have to go up there to remember my parents. It isn't as if there is a special place or any kind of commemoration there just a big bush where other people have put flowers because their loved ones are there too.
We did have a nice walk around looking at other people's plaques and we went and read the book of Remembrance where it took us a while to find our mum's name but Deb found it eventually.

We had a really lovely walk through Markeaton Park. Deb took some great pictures with her phone too.

And these pictures that for some reason came out all weird



It was bitterly cold but We did enjoy our walk through the park. There were lots of people with their children and dogs. There were lots of squirrels and ducks wandering around too. Sometimes it was very scary when they came right up to us but they are so used to humans that they didn't bother about us.

We walked up to McDonald's and had a coffee and a choc muffin. The plan was to catch the bus into town then get a bus from town to home but as we were sat there, schoolkids started pouring in so I decided that we had better phone a cab, I didn't want the children to get home before me as I knew DD forgot her keys.

I had an enormous surprise when we got home. There was an interflora card through the door which said it had left a delivery next door for me. Deb went and got it for me.
One lovely friend had sent me a bunch of Birthday balloons

Another lovely friend sent me some gorgeous luxury chocolates and a Happy Birthday balloon. I was so overcome...It so frustrating never being able to see my friends because they are so far away and when I get gifts like this out of the blue I feel like I am the luckiest person alive to have people that really do still care about me, even if we can never get together.

In the evening we went for a family meal at Brewsters which is at Pride Park. I was able to download a voucher which gave us £5 off the meal and they also give Nectar points.
We got a taxi up there and met my other sis with hubby and nephew and niece. The great thing about Brewsters is they have this great big kiddies play area. It is too small for my 2 now but the little ones could have a good play and tire themselves out.

As to the food. I had the Scampi and Chips, DD had Bacon & Cheeseburger, Deb has the Roast half Chicken and DS had the Roast Beef and all the trimmings. I was too full up for desert but DD and DS had their gorgeous Chocolate indulgence which is Layers of Maltesers, chocolate and vanilla flavour ice-creams and marshmallow topped with chocolate brownie, a chocolate flake and chocolate sauce. I really would have considered it had I not been too full from the main meal. I knew though that I had my Ben & Jerry's in the Freezer!
After we had eaten, We all went into the play area. My gorgeous little niece was having a whale of a time. I have to say that it is the only time that she doesn't mind if mum disappears as she is in her element at play. She had all the toddler area to herself too (Until DD & DS invaded)

When we got back home about 8.30pm there was a huge bouquet of flowers on the doorstep from another friend who I haven't seen for ages even though she lives in Derby - I guess as we are both busy with different things our paths just don't cross anymore.



Presents

Well I got a watch from my sister Deb...I haven't actually worn a watch for years but I asked for one as I need to get out of the habit of relying on my phone for the time.
Deb also bought mea presentation type coin with the sign of Pisces on and this cute little handbag as she knows I love them. I already have a pink one but I have to say I like this one so much more.I got a gift bag of toiletries from my other sis (Ange) which contained the Mascara that I have wanted for so long. You know the Lash extender one that has the white primer that you put on first........
My darling children bought me a box of Dairy Milk Chocs which I started on while I watched Invasion on TV last night.

So there you go. Another year older but not necessarily Wiser LOL!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice birthday Jen. :-) (btw that Chocolate Indulgence is to die for, well worth forcing in until you feel sick!)

16/3/06 5:23 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

happy birthday jen! :D

16/3/06 6:47 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

Two days late, I'm bloody rubbish! Happy Birthday Jen!

17/3/06 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home