Monday, October 30, 2006

Saturday - Those trains again

As all jembie journeys recently it just couldn't go smooth could it!
DD went to Ange's on Friday night as she was travelling with them in the car but me and DS had to catch the train which was leaving Derby at 10.49am. I had already ordered our tickets and we were to pick them up from the machine at the station. We got there in plenty of time and although I was scared of the damn machine, I got my tickets without a hitch. We even had reservations so as to cut out the seating hassles- Or so I thought.

The train was dead on time and we boarded to find our seats...Guess what? Surprise Surprise! as it was a Virgin train we were travelling on, they had had problem with the computer. Not only were our reservations not made but we were booked on Coach D and there wasn't even a coach D!!!
Luckily though we managed to find 2 seats at a table once we persuaded a German man to move over and let me sit down. The train got very packed and I was grateful that we got on at Derby as further passengers had to stand. I wouldn't have fancied standing all the way to York.

So we settled down in our seats and got comfy with our MP3 players and our food. DS had his magazine and his Nintendo DS.
As we passed through Leeds, I got a text from DD saying that they were at the camp already. We still had the second stage of the journey to go. We had to change at York and then again at Scarbro' It would be another couple of hours before we would hit land.

When we eventually reached the park we met up with the rest of the family and had a drink in the bar. Soon we had to get to the caravan and do the unpacking - Well sod that I decided to just leave everything in there. DD and I were sharing a room and there wasn't room to swing a gerbil let alone a cat and it wasn't worth getting everything out. I just shoved the cases under the beds out of the way.

I had made the decision that for the first night we should all eat together. We all got changed and went down to the bar/restaurant and got a table. There was quite a good menu and most the meals were priced between £6-10. I went for the traditional Bangers and Mash which was absolutely gorgeous. DD had CHees and Tomato Pasta and DS went for the Sweet and sour chicken.

After the meal, the children spent some time in the arcades and we went into the Showroom. The good thing about going to a Holiday camp (Haven on this occasion) is the evening entertainment. In fact it is that good that you have to get there early for a seat. We couldn't find any spare tables anywhere so just had to find some spare chairs in a corner. We got chatting to a woman there who actually owns a caravan on the site and wasn't happy that she couldn't get a table to sit at even though she pays £3000 to the camp every year.
I enjoyed most of the show but the cabaret were awful and I ended up leaving to go back to the caravan because I just couldn't stand them any longer.

The rest of the family got back to the van about an hour later as they wanted to stay for the Party dances at the end of the night. Party dances which after a week of it I am quite ashamed to say that I do know off by heart...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home