Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Chivalry is NOT dead!

On Freecycle Derby the other day, someone was offering a whole box of Match-day programs from the Ted McMinn Benefit match back in May. When I replied that I would be interested, I found it was Mrs McMinn herself and they were getting rid because they needed the space at Pride Park.
So today I took a walk up to Pride Park itself to pick up the box of programs.
I knew it was going to be heavy so I decided that I would have to take my trusty shopping trolley. Now I know they are really the accessories for the more elderly lady but when faced with carrying very heavy boxes,why not make it easier on yourself and take the wheels.

It took me about half an hour to walk up to the stadium then when I got there I wasn't sure exactly where I was supposed to go. After walking round the entire Stadium, I finally found the Security office and 15 minutes later I was walking out with a trolley that was way heavier than when I walked in.

I wouldn't normally take the trolley into town - mainly because I hate those old ladies who trundled them through busy areas running over everyone and everything that gets in their way and poking ankles and shins. I had no choice though really as otherwise it would mean making several more trips than I needed.

I had to pick up frozen pizza for tea and some supplies to feed us in the next few days leading up to the big day.

When I got everything on my little list I went to wait for the bus. I could have walked home but my back was getting sore again and I just wanted to get home and rest up after pulling all that weight in the trolley.

As I got on the bus it was a lot more packed than I had thought so somehow I had to get the trolley up on the rack and go sit at the back of the bus. I managed it to the surprise of 2 ladies sitting in the seats in front. I did say to them though that it would be a different story when I come to get off.

So my stop was coming up, I hit the bell and got up just as the man in front did also. He asked the guy next to him to watch his stuff and he proceeded to grab my trolley off the rack. As the bus stopped he took it right off for me. I was quite speechless as you don't see that too often these days. I blushed as I thanked him and wished him a Merry Christmas!

So you see, Chivalry isn't dead altogether :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home