Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Salutations and Celabrations

As I blogged last night Yesterday was the birthday of Middle sister Ange.

The day started for me when I caught the bus into town to go meet our Nan who was coming up from Coventry. She would be staying over at their house and then going back today (Tuesday)
The bus was due in at 12 and I got there in plenty of time...Actually I was there way too early as I had planned to pop round the shops and get a few bits first but town was so packed I really couldn't face the crowds.
At 12 I saw the bus approach and got up to go greet Nan but when the doors opened, No one came out. I asked the driver if he had just come from Birmingham but he said that he had come from the depot as he was due to swap buses when the Brum bus gets in. It was getting on for 12.15 and we were getting worried (Ange had turned up by then) I asked the new driver if he knew what was keeping them and he phoned up the driver of the other bus to see what the hold-up was. He was told that they were going to be 15 mins late. Well that was already way past.

Finally the bus arrived 25 minutes late and Nan told us that they had had to wait at Brum for another bus coming in.
We jumped in a cab and went off to Anges house.
Although I have had 2 children of my own and contributed from time to time with looking after DNephew, I neer cease to get excited when I see DNiece. When I walked through the door she had a big smile on her face and said "Hiya Jen" then when Ange walked in she yelled "Mum Jen!" As I tried to bring her attention to the fact that Nan was behind us.

I couldn't really stay as long as usual because I needed to get back home in time for DD & DS to get home from school. As we were all going out in the evening, we needed enough time to get ready and get our own taxis up to the restaurant.
Ange made a huge batch of toast and we all sat around eating toast and drinking coffee and catching up with Nan's news. To add to the occasion B-I-L's brother John arrived with a big bunch of flowers for Ange. He stayued for some toast and tea as well. It seems that I only see John on birthdays these days. It's a shame that he and his wife live so far away now as I really love chatting to him, he is the kind of guy you can just talk about owt with.

Another factor in the length of my stay there was that box 1 of my Christmas hamper was due to arrive. This is the frozen part - my Turkey; joints of Pork/Beef/Lamb; sausages; Bacon and other meat products. Luckily it arrived in time which is more than I can say for my taxi that only just got me home in time for DS strolling up the street.

Plans for the evening were to all meet up at the Brewers Fayre. The best thing about eating here is the kiddies supervised play area and of course the fact that you can get Nectar points on everything you buy.

The roads were horrendous and our taxi driver decided to take us on a tour of the city so as to avoid the traffic. He did a good job and we didn't get caught in any jams at all. As usalu though this meant that we were first to arrive and had to stand at the door waiting for everyone else. Debz was next to arrive and no sooner had we ordered a drink than Ange Rob Nan and the kids arrived too. We couldn't eat yet though as Ange had also invited Zoe who had to come straight from taking her little DD to Ballet class.
The children had a chance to have their hour of play (Which DS gets to join in with on account of he is watching the younger ones) whilst Nan gathered together everyones orders and got the food arranged. It was quite weird all 12 of us sat at this huge table.

I decided to have something a little different. I went for the Chilli, Lime & Coriander Glazed Chicken With chips and salad.

DD had Cheese and Bacon burger and chips which also contains Onion rings and was absolutely huge.
DS went for the Half a roast chicken and all the trimmings.

I have never known us lot to all be together and it be so quiet. I was so proud of DNephew as I hardly heard him at all and he ate all his pasta. I don't think DNiece was as good with the food but she didn't play up, just sat there happily. Of course she was in her element when the waiter brought them their colouring books and crayons which is the free gift they get with the kids meals.

I really couldn't fit in dessert but of course Debz and DS could. As always when we come to this place DS had the Chocolate induldence. Or as I have named it Death by Chocolate. Debz had the Black forest pudding and DD the Sticky toffee pudding.

It was a lovely evening out with the family and it was 9pm before we knew it. Debz was going back to Ange's for drinks but unfortunately as it was a school night I really had to get my 2 home to bed as otherwise they would never be up in the morning.

Only downer of the evening was when we got home to find all the lights out and had to traipse all the way up to the all night garage to get electric cards.

The best thing of all about Ange's bithday is that when it is over you know it is only 3 weeks to Christmas which will go in a flash!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home