Sunday, April 09, 2006

Where are all the good songs gone?

Ever since I got interested in two of the hottest talents in UK broadcasting I have been listening to radio 1 a lot more than i have for years.
Originally i gave up on the breakfast show when Sara Cox took over but then I gave up altogether as a protest at them not playing Bring it on or even You and Me (tonight).
I went over to local commercial radio where I was very happy thank you very much! I even got to know the 2 presenters of our local breakfast show and myself and my family were invited into the studio to see it all put together. I regularly exchanged emails with the 2 presenters and their lovely producer until they moved onto another station.

After a while I saw past the euphoria of the personal contact and realised that the music they played on these stations was dire. Yeah so they play all the hits of the 80s 90s and today but they still had a set playlist and if it isn't on the list it ain't getting in the show.

So i came crawling back to Radio 1 and got whisked up in the hilarity of Moyles and got swept of my feet by the handsome early morning duo. I even started to enjoy the Mr & Mrs of the airwaves (Colin and Edith) when I couldn't stand them on Breakfast.

For the past 2 weeks I have come back to the Radio 1 chart in an attempt to get a weekend fix of JK and Joel but this has made me realise that all the charm and wit in the world can't make the Radio 1 playlist smell of roses. 1 after the other it is just more and more dross. I have read so many complaints on the BBC boards about the state of the chart show these days and it is all true.
Back in my day you would get the whole chart all 40 (Or maybe 30) tracks so along with the dross you would get to hear your favourite and even if you didn't get to hear it in the week you would hear it on a Sunday and decide that you really like it and go out and buy it...Mind you, that said, it is hard to even be able to buy the entire top 40 in any store these days..probably why a lot of bands have resorted to downloads only. Why don't the BBC listen to the complaints and re-instate the whole top 40 chart? So less chat from JK and Joel but then that is what the Chart chat podcast is for..less music more chat!! That way everyone's a winner, we all get what we want and the boys might even get more air time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home