Saturday, May 13, 2006

Footie, beer, nibbles, chocolate and some great live music.

I found out today just how much fun it can be to watch a good footie match with the sound down and the radio blaring in the background.

Saturdays sure are going to be a dreadful bore after today. It was the FA Cup Final between Liverpool and West Ham and it was also the 1st day of Radio 1's Big Weekend.

My plan was get up, turn on the radio and listen to Radio 1 all day.
Spoony followed by Vernon then Sara Cox and Jo Whiley and then Scott Mills and Trevor Nelson what more could you want on a Saturday?
I wasn't all that bothered 'bout the football as I was unaware that it was actually watchable...I am so used to missing all the good games by now on account of them always being on SKY TV. I was quite shocked when I picked up the listings mag to find that is was actually on the good 'ole BBC!!!
So change of plan slightly in that I would watch the match but turn off the commentary. It really worked.

It was a fantastic game...This morning Colin Murray correctly predicted it wouldn't be a game of no goals. Although the first was unfortunately an OG on Jamie Carraghers part. They kept coming and that is always the mark of a good game. Of course by the time 90 minutes arrived, It was 3-3 which meant extra time...after 30 minutes extra time it was still 3-3 which of course meant the dreaded Penalty shoot-out.
I hate it when games go to Pens as it makes the 2 hours they have already played totally worthless.
In the end though Liverpool were the victors and from the way I cheered and jumped up off the sofa it seems I was supporting Liverpool after all. It was a bit comical though to see most of the players from both teams hobbling off. OK, it may have been a long hard season but there is a World cup to prepare for in less than a month.



Along with the excellent footie served up, I also got to hear some live music courtesy of radio 1. A bit of the gorgeous Paolo Nutini singing his new single, Corinne Bailey Rae doing both her songs as well as the cover of Razorlight that she does, Orson and Gnarles Barclay. As well as loads of fun and interviews with various R1 DJs and performers and even Lorraine Kelly!!

Can't wait for day 2 tomorrow which will be the backdrop for the World cup Soccer sixes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just like to publicly declare my undying love for Stevie G. He is a God. I love him.
Considering I started drinking vodka when the OG went in, and had moved onto doubles by half time to help me through the game, and then carried on all night, I'm not sure if I'm very badly hungover or still drunk...
Did I mention how much I love Stevie?

14/5/06 4:43 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

How can anyone NOT love him after that display!!!

I just hope he can do it in the WC too :-)

15/5/06 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home