Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Captain Fantastic

Last night was a Captain Fantastic night. David Beckham and Robbie Williams.

I have a vague memory of sometime in 1998/1999 sitting in a pub in London after going down to Wembley to see an England friendly game. I can remember being sat there slagging off Becks.
It seems a lifetime since then. He went on to be England captain and everyone's hero. Even I openly admit to loving Beckham now. In fact I will go as far to say that The Beckhams are my idols. Hanging on the wall in front of me I have my prized possession which is a couple of signed pictures of David and Victoria in a frame.

Last night was a great Documentary about David Beckham. Tim Lovejoy spent 5 months with the man at the beginning of the year. It was a very relaxed interview, David obviously likes Lovejoy as he seemed very comfortable with him, as did Victoria. We got to see some of David's collection of cars, travelled round Madrid with David in the car, saw inside the Bernabeu stadium, learned about David's OCD, saw inside the new David Beckham academy and chatted to Victoria during a Real home game. I really enjoyed it and was disappointed that it was a one-off. I thought it was going to be a full series.

The other Captain Fantastic is Robbie Williams. He is currently captaining England in a special celebrity / Ex-pro game for Soccer Aid. He will lead out England against a Rest of the world team on Saturday but last night they played a practise game against a side of Ex-England players. I was really surprised at the level of the celebs in the team. Dean Lennox Kelly and Damian Lewis especially who have both recently starred in the BBC's Shakespeare retold series.
Amongst the ex-pros in the team are Graham Le Saux; John Barnes; David Seaman; Gazza and Jamie Redknapp who scored yesterday's goal.
Tonight the Rest of the world team will take on a team of ex-Scotland players. They seem to think that Ally McCoist will be a walkover but hey I have seen him play recently, he still has it!!

The games are being played at Craven Cottage and tickets are available for the public, you can find out about that on the Soccer Aid page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home